01743 248148

What is a Deputyship?

If someone no longer has the capacity to appoint an Attorney, there is an alternative. A family member or other interested person could apply to the Office of the Public Guardian for a Deputyship Order, appointing them as a Deputy and allowing them to sign on behalf of the incapacitated person.

We can assist you with the application. It is however always better for someone who is able to make an LPA appointing their own choice of Attorney to do so.

A Deputyship Order requires a Court Fee payable of £400.00. There will also be further costs such as an annual insurance premium which varies depending on the assets involved. The costs involved in setting up a Deputyship are therefore much higher than those to prepare an LPA. 

Please be aware that the above is a simple summarised explanation of  Deputyships based upon the law as at August 2017 and is subject to change. For specific advice in relation to your individual circumstances please contact a member of the team below.

Pauline Davies pauline.davies@pcblaw.co.uk  at the ShrewsburyKnighton or Clun office

Julie Griffiths julie.griffiths@pcblaw.co.uk  at the Church Stretton office

Thomas Wardle thomas.wardle@pcblaw.co.uk at the Ludlow or Shrewsbury office

Rachael Stokes rachael.stokes@pcblaw.co.uk at the Shrewsbury or Telford office 


In this section:

Who can I talk to about What is a Deputyship??

Legal Clerk Julie Griffiths:


Tel: 01694 723818

Solicitor Rachael Stokes:


Tel : 01743 248148 

Head of Wills & Probate Pauline Davies:


Tel: 01743 237124

Quick Contact

Do you need to talk to someone in a hurry? We can call you back, just leave your details.


What People Say

To read the most recent testimonials from appreciative clients click here

Free Case Assessment

Discuss your needs commitment free so you can plan your next move. Contact us today. 

Share PCB

24hr Emergency Line: Need to speak to someone urgently? Call confidentially on 07974 648495, any time of the day.